Re: "Legacy" Installation of XFree86/Cygwin vs. Setup.exe XFree86 Packages

Randall R Schulz wrote:

> More problem
> symptoms followed. When the boot process completed the hardware scan and
> got to the point where the "Welcome to Windows 2000" low-resolution
> splash screen would be taken down and the monitor resolution switched, I
> instead got a long period of disk activity, which I took to be an
> automatically invoked file system check (I have all NTFS systems, so I'm
> not used to this happening and it alarmed me). There was no indication
> of what was happening (as their ordinarily would be for a checkdsk,
> either manually requested or automatically invoked). However, once that
> was done, the system booted normally. Nonetheless, I don't like things
> like this happening to my system.

Actaully, I think the long delay was the copy-on-reboot stage of the
cygwin upgrade.  I vaguely remember something about XFree needing to
update a LOT of in use files, so setup puts those files in the
copy-on-reboot list.  Fonts?  Anyway, copying hundreds of files, one at
a time, can take a while...

We should probably warn people about this; they could really scrog their
cygwin if they interrupt the copy-on-reboot.

--Chuck