Re: By the way...

Harold Hunt wrote:

> ... I added a link to your Cygwin Gnome page to Cygwin/XFree86's Ported
> Software page:
> http://xfree86.cygwin.com/ported-software.html
>
> I'm very impressed with your work to compile Gnome with DLLs.  Keep it up!

A couple of things:

1) pkgconfig.  I'm the cygwin pkgconfig maintainer, and I'd like to
insure that you can use the "official" version in your port.  You are
using a patched version of 0.8.0; cygwin distributes 0.10.0; but 0.12.0
is now available.  Could you try 0.12.0 (unpatched and/or patched) and
see if that works for you?

If you must use a patched version of 0.12.0, then I'd consider
incorporating that patch into the official cygwin dist; also, in that
case, we could submit your patch upstream for incorporation into the
"real" 0.13.0...

2) libiconv/gettext: If someone 'adopts' my setup-compatible package for
libiconv -- see thes3 messages:

and it is included in the official cygwin dist, then I would rebuild the
official gettext package to use it.  (Yes, I'm also the cygwin gettext
maintainer).

3) cygextras: why not submit these as patches to the cygwin DLL? If it
is because the code is from gnu libc, then you could in partnership with
someone else, reimplement them and submit the result: your partner would
actually write the code to the specifications you develop; you would
verify that the result operates the same as the current version.
("Chinese Firewall").  Then, assign copyright on the reimplementations
to Red Hat/Cygwin, and submit!

4) berkeley db: folks have been asking for this for a long time.  Would
you consider packaging it up and submitting it as an official package?
(Don't worry about the tcl thing; you needn't be able to run the test
suite on an "official ports only" system).  side note: any idea why
Gnome doesn't use the GNU database instead? gdbm?

5) libungif: just like libiconv, I have a setup-compatible package for
this.  If someone wants to adopt it and submit it for official
inclusion, contact me offline.

--Chuck