Re: Problems installing cygwin-xfree86 on a Dell WIN2K box

>     Thanks for your response. I was, in fact, following those directions
> verbatim, on that very web page, when the Xinstall.sh script exited with
an
> error meassage saying that the extract command wasn't working properly &
> admonishing me to fix that & try again. I had just downloaded the entire
> XFree86 package Wednesday A.M. from ftp.nas.nasa.gov using the ftp command
> from the cygwin bash shell command line ("mget *" from the
> .../xfree/4.2.0/binaries directory). This download included the extract
> command which I believe Xinstall.sh tried to use to unpack everything
(after
> I copied it to the /bin directory from the bash command line). I guess my
> question is "what do I need to do to 'fix' the extract command & try
again"
> ? Would the regular tar command downloaded earlier & included w/ the basic
> cygwin package work ? Thanks in advance.

i had problems with the xfree-86 i downloaded from  ftp.nas.nasa.gov .
it seemed that the output from Xinstall, complained about packages that
should have been downloaded but weren't. and i think i posted a message
about that to this mailing list about problems at that ftp site.  everything
worked fine when i shfited to another ftp site, i believe it was the one at
uiuc.
 i'm not sure if this is applicable to your problem, though.