Re: Log file for Win2k/Remote Login Screen

Marc wrote:
> Just a recap, I wasn't getting my remote login window when grabbing a
> display from a machine running xdm stuff..
>
> Turns out my installation was ok, but there was an old DNS entry associated
> with my IP address and it must have been trying some funky reverse look up
> stuff before giving me my display.  I changed the IP to one with no DNS
> entry and everything is fine now.
>
> I need to figure out how to tunnel these remote displays through ssh or
> another type of encryption, but I don't see any possibilities.  I don't like
> sending my password in the clear via xdmcp.  Anyone working with this?

According to the Linux XDMCP howto, it isn't possible to forward XDMCP
over SSH because XDMCP uses UDP.

You could ssh to the remote system with X forwarding and start the
session manually. The X server would be started without any clients or
window manager; you might have to adjust authorization to allow the
remote machine to connect.

  - Ian

--
iburrell@stanfordalumni.org