Re: correct place for xmodmap / how to automize keyboard-layout-setting for Xfree86 ?

On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 12:28:22AM +0200, Ulrich Diez wrote:

> I installed Cygwin and Xfree86 these days on my computer. Actually I have no
> experience with them.
> I wanted to make the X-Window-System accepting german keyboard-layout,
> therefore I downloaded a german Xmodmap-file.
> When I use the command "xmodmap /path-to-modmap-file/xmodmad.de" in bash or
> xterm, I have the german keyboard-settings.
>
> But when I try to automize the Xmodmap-procedure for startup, I mess up as I
> actually do not know all to much about the corresponding mechanisms.
> So I tried to do everything as said in the FAQ (see below). Neither did I
> find the mentioned file "/etc/X11/xdm/XSetup" nor a similar one. There was
> no "XSetup"-file on my Computer at all.
> I created one and put it into the mentioned directory but that didn't help.
> (Somebody already told me that under UNIX-systems upper- and
> lower-case-spelling is important.)

How are you starting XFree? XDMCP is used to create a session from
another computer; xdm runs on the other computer. It isn't needed on
the Cygwin computer. If you are starting the X server with startx,
then the xmodmap file goes in ~/.Xmodmap. You can also put it in
/etc/X11/Xmodmap to make it the global setting. The instructions in
the FAQ regarding xdm are what to do on the remote machine.

 - Ian

--
iburrell@stanfordalumni.org
http://www.znark.com/