RE: XDMCP starting problems on Win2k & RH 7.2

On Sun, 27 Jan 2002, Harold Hunt wrote:

> Tzafrir,
>
> > A simpler suggestion:
> >
> > telnet to port 6000 of the windows machine from the linux server.
> >
> > A connection should be established (whatever the X configuration is). If
> > no connection is established then something is wrong.
>
> That's not a simpler test... it won't give any new information.
>
> We already know that something is wrong, the issue now is to find out what
> is causing the problem.
>
> If you noticed, he said that he _sometimes_ gets an XDM login screen.The
> test you describe will probably _sometimes_ work, which does nothing to tell
> us where the problem is coming from.

If a cleint is not able to connect to an X server it may be because the
client or the server processes are misconfigured, or because the network
configuration below is screwed-up.

telnet to port 6000 verifies that the network layer probably works.

Also try doing a large file transfer, to verify that the connection is not
very bad and gets disconnected.

I believe that this will eliminate any networking wierdness and allow to
focus on X (mis)configuration issues.

(And it is much simpler than setting a seprate network with static IPs)

--
Tzafrir Cohen                        /"\
mailto:tzafrir@technion.ac.il        \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign