Remote tasks sleeping after 'su'

Hi,

I've been using Cygwin for a while now but am new to cygwin-xfree. I hope
this question hasn't been answered before but I did check the archives and
didn't find anything pertinent.

I use this system to log into other systems (via ssh -X) and have the
windows displayed on my cygwin-xfree desktop. If I run something as myself
then everything is fine. If I log in, then 'su' to root, then run something
the window never appears. If I look at 'top' then the task I just started is
flagged as sleeping. This problem does not occur when using the putty/exceed
combination to log in to my remote machine. I haven't tried logging straight
in as root, because our security policy does not allow it. Is this a
cygwin-xfree issue, or something else?

Thanks in advance,

Rob Haines
--