problem with using xsetroot without window manager

Hi,

I'm using the latest Xserver Test Release and have recognized a problem, when starting some
apps without any window manager.

For starting kde/kde2 I'm using setxroot to choose another background at the start of the
launching process, which needs some time. At this time no window manager is running. With
this configuration the color isn't set, but the xserver seems to be restarted. (The window
seems to be closed for a little while and comes back)
After startung twm, kwm or kwin color setting works.
The same effect occurs, when I'm starting for example xdpyinfo without any window manager.
When the end of the listing is reached the server "restarts".

Any ideas ?

Regards
Ralf