Re: seperate xfree project on sourceforge

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rasjid Wilcox" <rasjidw@bigpond.com>
> This is exactly what I want to do.  I want a setup.ini that only
downloads
> the minimal set up packages to get Cygwin-XFree86 connected to an
XDMCP
> server.  This is under 10MB.  My only problem is that upon running
setup.exe,
> if specifying Internet Install or Download, it overwrites the local
setup.ini
> with the most recent hosted by cygwin.
>
> As this is desirable, my suggestion would be to have a *optional*
second file
> that does a default 'ticking of boxes' function, similar to RedHat's
> kickstart file.  If would define the defaults for which packages are
> 'skipped' and which are not.  Different program vendors could include
> different 'Cygwin kickstart' files depending on which Cygwin programs
they
> needed to complement their product.  The user could / would still be
given
> the ultimate choice - it would just make life easier for people that
only
> want a select set up packages.
>
> If this is already effectively a feature of the new setup.exe, please
tell me
> how to use it.  The "Categories" look like they are part of the
setup.ini
> downloaded too, so I don't think they will do what I have in mind.

At the moment, the only way is to define a metapackage - that is an
empty package with no source, that simply requires the other packages
you want to tick. Then instruct your users to select that package.

Once setup.hint is able to be embedded in tarballs and still get used by
setup, then you can have a local tarball that setup.exe will find when
it scans the download cache.

Rob

P.S. This isn't on topic for cygwin either, it's a cygwin-apps
discussion if anything.