cygwin xfree86 & ssherror : X11 connection uses different authentication protocol

Hello,

Attempting to forward X11 without much success.

My local system is a Windows 2000 PC running the very latest Cygwin
binaries, plus the xfree86 binaries.  Xfree is running great locally
under Windows. My Linux server - which is on a different subnet - is a
Red Hat 7.2 system running XFree86. There is no firewall between the
client and the server. The Linux server runs X11 just fine locally,

My steps:
1) From a local cygwin shell on NT, I run "startxwin.sh" and X starts
with a term.
2) ssh -v -l root mylinuxbox.foo.com -X  (ssh version is what comes with
Cygwin and is very recent)
3) Attempt starting an X11 app on the Linux box, such as "xeyes" or
"kwrite", and I get the following info:

[root@zaphod /root]# xeyes
debug1: client_input_channel_open: ctype x11 rchan 2 win 4096 max 2048
debug1: client_request_x11: request from 192.168.100.21 35785
debug1: fd 8 setting O_NONBLOCK
debug1: channel 1: new [x11]
debug1: confirm x11
debug1: X11 connection uses different authentication protocol.
debug1: X11 rejected 1 i1/o16
debug1: channel 1: read failed
debug1: channel 1: input open -> drain
debug1: channel 1: close_read
debug1: channel 1: write failed
debug1: channel 1: output open -> closed
debug1: channel 1: close_write
debug1: X11 closed 1 i2/o128

In particular, the "X11 connection uses different authentication
protocol" seems to imply a software and not a configuration issue.

The one "hack" I did was -- and this may be significant -- I could not
start X11 on the Windows box because it couldn't find
cyglibncurses5.dll. A search of the drive found cyglibncurses6.dll. I
first tried symlinking, but that didn't solve the problem, so I
duplicated the cyglibncurses5.dll file and renamed it to
cyglibncurses6.dll

Very ugly, I know :-) but XFree won't even start under Windows unless I
do this. It does not sound related to the remote X11 problem, but I
should mention this.

Any help is most appreciated!

Thanks!

Scott Prive