Re: xfree86 error finding cygwin1.dll

On Mon, 2001-10-29 at 19:55, Andrew Markebo wrote:
> | I suppose the reason for this problem is mainly because the
> | installation assumes that c:\cygwin\bin is in the systems path, not
> | set by or is it cygwin.bat.
>
> *Bonk* the path in the startx.bat-file is set to \cygwin\bin, how does
>  cygwin handle this?? If cygwin is on d:\cygwin, and when firing up a
>  cygwin app, how does it resolv the path??
>
> Is \cygwin\bin resolved to /cygwin/bin, or /cygdrive/[currdrive]/cygwin/bin??
>
>         /Andy
hehe, welcome to drive letter installation tweaking. cygwin has nothing to do with path resolution of that nature. The reason is that .dll location for linked .dlls is carried out by the win32 PE loader.

The path will be resolved relative to the current working on the curent drive when the program is executed. So if cygwin is on c, and X is on d, then double clicking that bat file on d will rsult in \cygwin\bin resolving to d:\cygwin\bin _until the working drive is changed_.

...which is why I use startx (the shell script) ;].

Rob.