continued installation problems...

I 1st installed Cygwin 1.3.3 on a Win98SE machine as per instructions on the
Cygwin and Cygwin/Xfree user manuals and FAQs & it seemed to work fine.
In the "Cygwin Setup" program, I left all defaults as is.
During 1st installation of Cygwin/Xfree, I got an error message saying
"cygz.dll" is missing.  This was while extracting postscript fonts. I have
used "find", and there is no cygz.dll on my HD.  Installation continued, and
I extracted startup-scripts successfully.  However, when I opened
startxwin.bat, I once again got the cygz.dll error.  The shells the .bat
file attempted to open, but were not successful.

I removed & reinstalled Cygwin.  After installation I manually added all
files in zlib-1.1.3-6 to c:\cygwin\bat with WinZip (bad idea?).  I did this
because a Google search turned this up:
http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2001-07/msg01685.html.

Next I installed Cygwin/Xfree 4.1.0.  This time, no missing .dll errors.
However, when I open startxwin.bat, I get a *white screen*and 4 dos windows.

Perhaps I'm missing something in this step from the user manual?...
http://xfree86.cygwin.com/docs/ug/cygwin-configure-options.html

Questions...
Was manually installing zlib-1.1.3-6 files the correct procedure?
Is the white screen a configuration problem with Xwin?
Thanks in advance for any possible help!
Ted