Re: sound support more info - kde2 porting status

On Sat, Oct 20, 2001 at 10:16:46AM +0200, Ralf Habacker wrote:
>4a. Some application (kdevelop,) couldn't be started
>   because of a runtime loader error. (Windows Error 0xc0000142)
>   I have tried to analyze this, but without success.
>
>   This error is critical for this project, which implicated to me
>   to look after another way to port kde2.
>   Currently I'm trying out if "line" the linux emulator for windows
>   is a possible way for doing this. If have got running already some
>   applications.

Hmm.  A google search on this error doesn't unearth much interesting
besides the fact that a DLL failed to initialize properly.  Doesn't gdb
tell you which one is having problems?  I remember having similar
problems, though, and they are really tricky to track down.

>4b. It seems to me, that the windows runtime loader has performance
>   problems on loading apps/dll with many symbols. Some kde2 libs
>   like qt and kdecore have about 10.000 exported symbols and some
>   apps uses over 30 dll's.

I'm sure that Windows has performance problems.  IIRC, there is some
kind of public domain bind command available for Windows which you can
use to associate a specific DLL with a specific executable.  I'm drawing
a blank on the real name and where it could be found but maybe someone
will be able to make some sense out of my vague ramblings and provide
more details.  IIRC, this program strips relocatable bits from a DLL.

>6. the sound support of cygwin isn't ready. Especially setting
>   of audio buffer size from an application is a problem.
>   Look in the thread about the rocksndiamond game started with
>   http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2001-q4/msg00171.html.

I didn't see anything which actually set the blocksize in the code
fragment that you sent to cygwin-apps.  I just saw code which read the
block size and said "this should return 512".  But, cygwin uses a larger
buffer than that.  I don't actually see an ioctl for setting the block
size under linux, but maybe I missed something.

cgf