RE: sound support more info - kde2 porting status

> On Wed, 17 Oct 2001, Calvin Smith wrote:
> >
> > I've finally got Mandrake 8.0 to work with XDMCP and can now login to
> > Mandrake from Windows 2000.  However, when I run xmms it comes up plays an
> > mp3 file and looks like it works but I get no sound from my Windows 2000
> > speakers.  Is sound not working?
> > I'm not sure what xwin.exe I'm running - is there a way to check that?
> > It's dated 6/30/2001
> > I'll try to get the latest version to see if that helps.
>
> And appended
>
> > I just got the latest xfree and it also fails to provide sound.
> Note: sound
> > is played through the linux soundcard, just not through the windows
> > soundcard.
>
> What did you expect?
>
> X11 is a protocol for transporting graphics over a network. For sound you'll
> need  a sepearte protocol with a seperate deamon, eg. esd or arts.
>
> Ralf, can you give some news on arts?

Because of my spare time, I'm currently working on
some other parts of the kde2 port.
The kde2 port is very much work , because there
are several issues that has to be solved.
Sound support is one topic in this list, but not
with the highest priority. I like to tell you some
topics about this project and some problems, so you
can see why I say this:

1. On my develop w2k workstation the kde2 installation
   (kdelibs, kdebase,kdevelop,kdeutils) contains about 180
   dlls and 148 applications. The size of the installation
   tree is about 340 MB. This is a new dimension in cygwin
   related distribution.

2. Recompiling whole kdelibs need about 10 hours. I haven't
   compiled all kde packages (I have currently downloaded 16
   packages) but I guess it will need a 3-4 days to recompile
   all on a PIII/733 MHz with w2k.

3. the kde2 desktop, which mostly runs needs about 250
   MB RAM and has a very poor performance.
   Starting the whole desktop needs about 4 minutes and
   the reaction time for starting apps are  > 1 minute
   Here is some work to do in the kdelibs/kinit,-kio,-klauncher
   stuff.

4a. Some application (kdevelop,) couldn't be started
   because of a runtime loader error. (Windows Error 0xc0000142)
   I have tried to analyze this, but without success.

   This error is critical for this project, which implicated to me
   to look after another way to port kde2.
   Currently I'm trying out if "line" the linux emulator for windows
   is a possible way for doing this. If have got running already some
   applications.

4b. It seems to me, that the windows runtime loader has performance
   problems on loading apps/dll with many symbols. Some kde2 libs
   like qt and kdecore have about 10.000 exported symbols and some
   apps uses over 30 dll's.

5. arts couldn't be compiled because of several compiling
   errors, which I don't know how to fix yet.

6. the sound support of cygwin isn't ready. Especially setting
   of audio buffer size from an application is a problem.
   Look in the thread about the rocksndiamond game started with
   http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2001-q4/msg00171.html.

7. Perl has a bug, (inplace editing of files) that prevents usind
   standard kde configuration stuff. Currently if one wants to use
   to configure a kde package from cvs, one have to patch some
   administrive files.

8. Currently I'm using a patched libtool, because the current libtool
   don't support auto-import and is buggy in the handling of lib
   dependencies. I have patched this, but I have not enough knowledge
   to integrate this into the standard libtool distribution.
   Without this one have to patch the libtool file after configure a
   kde package like kdelibs.
   BTW: One of the things I have learned on programming is to build
        small functions and to structure bigger apps very well to
        make sure, that this souce will be maintainable.
	 libtool is one long function with about 6000 lines. :-(

9. The libltdl lib has a configure bug relating to the NEED_USCORE option
   which must not be set.

10. There are some incompatiblities with autocond/automake, I recognized.

11. kde2 uses some additional libraries, which partial are not ready
    for cygwin. This libs are

	gnome-xml  	     (configure has to be patched)
      pcre  	     (the respective cygwin functions don't work)
	dns resolver lib (currently I'm using bindlib_w32)

So it will need some time to get arts running.

Regards Ralf