RE: kde 1.1.2 under win95

> Ralf,
>
> I flagged this message for a follow-up, but I never got around to it.  I'd
> like to get some more information and address the issues that I can.
>
> > 1. Installing
> > 	XInstall.sh breaks with a
> > 		syntax error in line 1246 near then
> > 		if [ X"$VARDIST" != X ]; then
> > 	Editing this file with vi and reentering a new line makes
> > in working.
> > 	After dowloading the newest Xinstall.sh the problem stays.
>
> I've not heard of a single corroborating report.  I cannot offer any hints,
> and I can't suspect that something is really wrong with XInstall.sh.
> Assuming that vi was running under Cygwin, I would wager a guess that you
> either had multiple copies of cygwin1.dll on your system, or you were using
> a really old version of cygwin1.dll (or perhaps a snapshot).  I'm guessing
> that running vi changed the system state sufficiently that the script was
> processed correctly.  In other words, I think that the edit you made
> probably did not have a direct beneficial effect.
>
> > 4. Very slow performance
> >    - Starting xfree with startxwin9x.bat needs several minutes to
> > get running
> > xterm.
> >    - Doing a ls -l /bin with a full installed cygwin needs one
> > minutes to show
> > all the files.
> >    - Starting kde needs about 5 minutes and at least kwm hangs.
>
> That is not normal at all, though I have seen it on occassion when I have
> messed things up; you could try the latest Server Test Series release.
> However, this furthers my suspicions of multiple copies of cygwin1.dll.
>
> > 5. XWin hangs
> >    Sometimes Xwin crashes.
> >    After some tries startxwin9x.bat hangs immediately.
>
> Either an unstable Server Test Series release, or multiple copies of
> cygwin1.dll.
>
> > 6. Clicking on the server background shows no text (perhaps a
> > font missing, I
> > have installed  only the basic font archive with Xinstall.sh)
>
> It won't show any text if you aren't running a window manager that does so.
> It would be logical that the font may be missing, but my guess is that the
> window manager would be smart enough to fall back on a default font, rather
> than not displaying anything at all.
>
> > After the first tests I tried a xfree 4.0.3 release which I have
> > used for with
> > kde 1.1.2 under Windows 2000/NT with the same results.
>
> In that case, I'm going to say that your problems are due either to your
> installation of Cygwin
I think so, the problems depends on cygwin(perhaps a little on the xserver).
My test of kde 1.1.2 with win95 shows that the xlib works well and as I
recognized this problems with the xfree server I have tried exceed, which world
well too. So I have seen that kde should work, I don't speed more time for
analysing of my very limited time and big problems with ld and libtool. What I
can do, is to install current cygwin 1.3.3 and see how it works. After that we
can talk about the test server binaries.

BTW: Is there anybody else who can do this ? Doing this need not very deep
knowledge but some time to verify, because currently I'm working on porting kde2
and have some socket problems with klauncher. When this is solved, I thing the
first alpha version of kde 2 is ready soon.

Regards

Ralf