RE: default start procedure for cygwin xfree apps/desktops available ?

I think I have to describe more in detail the needs I see.

In linux for example the prefered way to start an X11 windowmanager (and the
relating desktop) is setting the environment var WINDOWMANAGER to the relating
start script and call startx to start the wm.

In cygwin the default way seems to use startxwin.bat, but as I have seen last
this isn't compatible with the startx procedure.

Additional on watching the cygwin-xfree mailing list I see that
more and more wms are available for cygwin/xfree86, so a standard for this
especially in conjunction with the coming rpm installer, seems to me as a
necessary condition.

A proposal from my side is to use an existing standard like the startx
with a standard .xinitrc and to choose the wm with the env var WINDOWMANAGER.

This can be used bx startxwin too, perhaps as commandline parameter or with the
WINDOWMANAGER var too.

What do you think about this ?

Ralf