Unable to open display – saga continues

I was unfortunate enough to discover another application that is not compatible with Xfree on Win9x, with all the standard symptoms of server listening, and telnet connecting, and xterm being unable to open display, and yadda-yadda-yadda, as reported multiple times on this board.

I had a perfectly healthy installation until I downloaded a trialware of Rational Rose (just don't ask me why.) Apparently, it brings with it a Unix environment, seemingly dubbed NuTCRACER, that among other things, has an implementation of an X server. I wish I could provide more info than that, but this NuTCRACER thing is long since gone from my machine and there is no way it makes it back. Those who like to live dangerously are encouraged to investigate.

Unfortunately, the de-install is not clean, and my Xfree is still hosed. Among lasting effects, are two suspicious protocols (see the attachment below), as reported by system info tool. Where these protocols are coming from, I have no idea – nothing is found neither in registry, nor by grep’ing system files. Rebuilding the machine is not an option.

If anyone investigates this matter, I would be extremely interested to know what delta this Nuts thing installs, and what cleanup could be done.

[Protocol]

…

Name	NuTCRACKER Unix domain sockets (STREAM)
Connectionless Service	No
Guarantees Delivery	Yes
Guarantees Sequencing	Yes
Maximum Address Size	106 bytes
Maximum Message Size	0 bytes
Message Oriented	No
Minimum Address Size	3 bytes
Pseudo Stream Oriented	No
Supports Broadcasting	No
Supports Connect Data	No
Supports Disconnect Data	No
Supports Encryption	No
Supports Expedited Data	Yes
Supports Graceful Closing	Yes
Supports Guaranteed Bandwidth	No
Supports Multicasting	No

Name	NuTCRACKER Unix domain sockets (DGRAM)
Connectionless Service	Yes
Guarantees Delivery	No
Guarantees Sequencing	No
Maximum Address Size	106 bytes