new to xfree...

Hi everyone,

I've been using Cygwin for a few weeks now and I love it.  Today, I
decided to try getting xfree86 to run on it.  So I downloaded the required
files and followed the installation instructions.  But I'm running into a
problem.  When I try to bring up an x windows session, I get the following
output:

--quoted--
$ xwin.exe -screen 0 500x500x16
ddxProcessArgument () - screen - argc: 4 i: 1
_XSERVTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.X11-unix should be set to root
winDetectSupportedEngines () - Windows 95/98/Me
winDetectSupportedEngines () - DirectDraw installed
winDetectSupportedEngines () - DirectDraw4 installed
winDetectSupportedEngines () - Returning, supported engines 00000017
winSetEngine () - Using Shadow DirectDraw NonLocking
winAdjustVideoModeShadowDDNL () - Using Windows display depth of 16 bits
per pix
el
winCreateBoundingWindowWindowed () - WindowClient width 500 height 500
winAllocateFBShadowDDNL () - lPitch: 1000
winInitVisualsShadowDDNL () - Masks 0000f800 000007e0 0000001f BPRGB 6 d
16
winCreateDefColormap () - Deferring to fbCreateDefColormap ()
--end quoted--

An X window will pop up, but it stays in black and white and it's only
feature is a cursor (which works, actually).  But the script itself gets
hung at this point and I have to ctrl-C to break out of it.

I've read in the instructions that I have to run xwin.exe and then lauch
another script via the startxwin.bat file, but this file isn't on my
system (I even searched for all .bat files, to no avail).

I'm running Cygwin on top of Win98 (please don't groan).  Any advice would
be appreciated.

Thanks,

Wheat

--