Errors with xFree86

I would like to use OpenDX which is a free data analysis program from IBM
but I was told I would need something called an "x-server" (whatever that
is).  I haven't downloaded OpenDX yet, but I downloaded cygwin and
xFree86-4.1.0 as the xServer.  I followed all the instructions to download
and install xFree86-4.1.0 and it seemed to go fine.  There were no errors.
The last page of the xFree86 instructions say that to start xFree86 you
should doublclick startxwin.bat.  I did this and received two DOS screens
and one large gray screen with an "X" that moves across the screen in
response to the mouse.  I have no clue what this is supposed to do, but the
two DOS screens appear to have error messages on them.

One of the DOS screens says the following:

Path not found - \cygwin\tmp\.X11-unix\X0
Path not found
Invalid path, not directory,
or directory not empty
Invalid switch - /B
Invalid switch - /B
Invalid switch - /B
Invalid switch - /B

C:\WINDOWS\Desktop>

The other DOS screen says:

winDetectSupportedEngines () - Windows 95/98/Me
winDetectSupportedEngines () - DirectDraw installed
winDetectSupportedEngines () - DirectDraw4 installed
winDetectSupportedEngines () - Returning, supported engines 00000007
winSetEngine () - Using user's preference: 4
winAdjustVideoModeShadowDDNL () - Windowed, command line depth: 32, using
depth:
 16
winCreateBoundingWindowWindowed () - WindowClient width 1018 height 742
winInitVisualsShadowDDNL () - Masks 0000f800 000007e0 0000001f BPRGB 6 d 16
winInitVisualsShadowDDNL () - Returning
winFinishScreenInitFB () - Calling winCreateDefColormap ()
winCreateDefColormap () - Deferring to fbCreateDefColormap ()
error opening security policy file /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/, removing
from li
st!

Based on the errors in these DOS screens, it would appear that xFree86-4.1.0
is not working properly (although I admit I wouldn't know what it looks like
if it was working properly).  Does anyone know what the problem could be?

Ed Mullen