RE: [FEATURE REQUEST] LBX

> Might a command line interface be added instead to disable LBX?
> Like -nolbx?
> Can it be done that easily?  LBX is a very nice resource, and I
> actually use
> it and rely on it.  If I am the only one, I can simply use the
> 4.1.0 build that

I found the article that gave me the impression that getting rid of LBX
would be a good thing, it is the article that Keith Packard and Jim Gettys
wrote about the RandR extension:
http://www.xfree86.org/~keithp/talks/randr/randr/randr.html#tex2html1

"more importantly, the extension framework has isolated ``bad'' ideas from
the core X functionality allowing their eventual atrophy into irrelevance."

The footnote for that statement says:
http://www.xfree86.org/~keithp/talks/randr/randr/randr.html#foot74
"E.g. PEX, XIE, LBX, along with wide lines and arcs in the core protocol ...
"

Now, Jim Gettys (original writer of the X Window System) and Keith Packard
(RandR, Shadow, FB, XFree86) are arguably the two primary heavyweights in
the X world today.  When they talk, I march.  They said LBX sucks, so I
removed LBX.

Of course, LBX is back in now, but I didn't want anyone to think that I was
making a rash decision in disabling LBX.  On a side note, Keith Packard had
recently turned off building PEX and XIE for XFree86 and encouraged other
developers to do the same thing for other platforms, so it seemed perfectly
reasonable to disable LBX as well.