XFree installation and french keyboard

Hello.

I've just installed XFree on top off Cygwin. I noted a little problem
while trying to install the XFree-4.0.3-devel package; it didn't want to
untar some files (it's a problem of permission i remember).

By the way, i don't understand why i have no files under /etc or
/etc/X11 ... Did i miss an important package ? I have some links to
files under /etc from /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/, and nothing (i would like at
least some config file like XF86config) under /etc.

At last, a true XFree question.
I'm french, and so i would like to have a french keyboard layout. I know
i can use 'xmodmap', so i included it in startxwin and i found in
archives a french map. Thanks.

Now, i'd like to launch my server this way ;
'XWin -query machine -from here'

This time, i don't know how to fix the keyboard. I found some option
named '-xkbmap', but i don't know what argument i must pass to it.

Any idea ? Thanks.