RE: Xfig and Scalable Fonts

 SS> You can use xfs under Cygwin too.  The man pages of "docs" (docs
 SS> are insatlled as html pages under /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/doc) will
 SS> give you info on how to do it.

I tried to use a local xfs, but so far I've failed.  Here is what I
do (Windows98, cygwin 1.3.2, 4.1.0):

I start xfs from bash in one of these two ways:

  xfs -config /etc/X11/fs/config &

  xfs -config /etc/X11/fs/config -daemon

The only difference I have observed is that with the first form xfs
reports that it is listening on port 7100.  The second form is silent,
but it seems to be doing the same.  The configuration file is the one
that comes with the binary 4.0.3 distribution.  I also tried a
stripped-down version with just the 75dpi fonts in the catalogue, but
it made no difference.

Once xfs is running, I start XWin with the line:

  XWin -screen 0 1280x1024x32 -fp tcp/localhost:7100 -whitepixel 255 -blackpixel 0 -engine 4 &

This causes xfs to crash.  XWin reports that it cannot initialize the
given element of the font path, then says it cannot find the fixed
font, and gives up the ghost.

I have also tried to omit "-fp tcp/localhost:7100" from the invocation
of XWin.  In this case XWin starts normally.  However, if I try

  xset +fp tcp/localhost:7100

or

  xfsinfo -server localhost:7100

xfs crashes and the command fails.  I have also tried to start xfs
after XWin, but it has made no difference.  Is there any obvious (or
not so obvious) mistake in what I'm doing?  Any suggestion for what to
try next?

Thanks

Fabio

This is the xfs config file.  The directories in catalogue exist and
seem correctly populated.  /var/log/fs-errors exists and either is
empty, or contains a failure message saying that xfs is about to do a
stack dump.

# font server configuration file
# $Xorg: config.cpp,v 1.3 2000/08/17 19:54:19 cpqbld Exp $

clone-self = on
use-syslog = off
catalogue = /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/
error-file = /var/log/fs-errors
# in decipoints
default-point-size = 120
default-resolutions = 75,75,100,100