Re: Copyright [cgf, please comment]

Suhaib Siddiqi wrote:
[snip]

> again copyright is really not an issue, but since you insists, read this
> from copyright laws from Library of Congress.  FAQ is an invention.  It is a
> collective work.
>
> * The authors of a joint work are co-owners of the copyright in the work,
> unless there is an agreement to the contrary.
>
> FAQ in SGML is a DOC and collection of work. therefore it does not grant
> copyright:
>
> *Mere ownership of a book, manuscript, painting, or any other copy or
> phonorecord does not give the possessor the copyright. The law provides that
> transfer of ownership of any material object that embodies a protected work
> does not of itself convey any rights in the copyright.
>
> Bye
>
> Suhaib

Correct, the copyright on the original FAQ is jointly held by
whomever wrote it.

The problem at hand, however, is whether or not Harold's rewrite
is a derivative work. If it is than it requires approval of the
copyright holders of the original FAQ, which apparently has not
been given, and a joint copyright notice. Morally some credit
should probably be given to the writer(s) of the original FAQ,
legally I don't think there is an issue.

I would take this off list again, but Suhaib apparently finds
discussion to his e-mail annoying enough to ban addresses from
the inspirepharm.com SMTP server. Unless some content appears
this is my last message, apologies to everyone else for
encouraging this idiot.

Chris