Re: Not your normal DISPLAY problem.

See comments inline...

> Are there any VPN, or Firewall software of "second fully
functionalmachine"?
Nope.  Both are on the same subnet, with no special

> When you start X-server do you get X-desktop?
Yup.  The desktop comes up nicely.  In fact, X sessions from the remote
machine are working correctly... Just X sessions from localhost are failing

> Can you run the following simple test from a bash shell?
>
> From Cygwin bash shell cd to /usr/X11R6/bin
>
> DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
> Export DISPLAY
No problems here... an 'echo $DISPLAY' verifies the value 127.0.0.1:0.0

> ./Xwin :0&
The X-desktop apears here, as expected.

> ./xterm&
> ./twm&
Both these return the same "Can't open display".

> You should see an X-desktop, then an xterm.  If Xwin does not start please
> post exact error messages to the list.
>
> Suhaib

Thanks for your help, but I've spent a couple days on this, and I can't seem
to find the problem.  It's as if the X-programs are failing to communicate
over the network.  Could it be somewhere in the network settings?  At this
point I'm pretty sure it isn't actually a problem with the DISPLAY variable.

Thanks for any further help you can offer.

-Larry