RE: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Cygwin/XFree86 DocBook-based FAQ draft

On Tue, 22 May 2001, Harold Hunt wrote:

> > 2) a german xmodmap
> >
> > On SuSE-Linux the command
> >
> >   xmodmap -pke > Xmodmap.de
> >
> > produced a keybord file that works fine
> > with cygwin-xfree.
>
> Can anybody else verify for me if this works in general?

The keyboard code was designed to be 100% compatible.
If it won't work, then it's a bug in Cygwin/XFree.

> > 3) Displaying characters
> >
> > In order to display umlauts the file .inputrc has to be
> > evaluated. Therefore it is necessary to add the option
> >  -ls
> > to the xterm and rxvt commands in startxwin.sh
>
> Also, can I get a confirmation on this?

xterm -ls starts a login shell, which reads (in this order for bash)
/etc/profile
~/.bash_profile
~/.bash_login
~/.profile
and
~/.bash_logout
on exit

if not started as login shell, bash reads only
~/.bashrc
 http://www.gotti.org
 +49 3725 349 80 80