RE: basic stuff

James,

> I'm not exactly an expert on this, but It looks to me like you need to
> update DirectX if you can.

"Update DirectX", used to be the correct response to almost every question
posted to the Cygwin/XFree86 list; the current server is a complete rewrite
which corrects the DirectX version problems.

XWin.exe checks if DirectDraw is installed, if DirectDraw is operational,
and what version DirectDraw is before deciding whether to use the
DirectDraw, DirectDraw4, or GDI bit block transfer (blit) engine.  XWin.exe
would have fallen back on the GDI blitter, had DirectDraw4 and DirectDraw
been non-operational or not installed.

As a side note, the GDI blitter will work on every version of Windows,
regardless of the operational status of DirectX/DirectDraw; you can force
XWin.exe to use the GDI blitter by passing the '-engine 1' command line
parameter.

Don't be discouraged at giving the wrong answer though, as we need lots of
people to answer questions on this list; I bet it won't be long until you
know the correct answer to lots of questions on this list :)

Thank you for your interest in our project,