RE: fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server

Phillip,

<wildguess>
Did you use Cygwin's tar to extract the Cygwin/XFree86 tarballs?  No?  Then
reinstall using Cygwin's tar, as described in the User's Guide.  I'm going
to bet that the message XWin emits right before crashing is 'cannot find
font...'.
</wildguess>

> have invoked xwin with various flags like -from and -query

The -from and -query parameters are only used when you are connecting to a
remote machine using xdmcp; you do not appear to be doing this, in fact, you
are trying to connect to the local machine using xdmcp; your local machine
is not running an xdmcp server, so attempting to connect to the local
machine with xdmcp is sure to fail.

> SET DISPLAY=192.168.152.99

That's just not going to work; you have to specify which display to connect
to:
SET DISPLAY=192.168.152.99:0.0

In any case, 127.0.0.1:0.0 should work; something else is wrong if you can't
connect to display 127.0.0.1:0.0

> Appearing briefly in a separate shell window:

For some reason your server is crashing on startup; put the /B back on your
XWin start line and we might be able to figure out why XWin is crashing on
startup.  Note that /B will cause XWin's output to be in the launching shell
window.