Re: Naming of Cygwin/XFree86 components

Harold Hunt wrote

>> Hangon, what repository is called "xwin". This is the first I've heard
>> of it.
>

> Our home in the XFree86 source tree:
> xc/programs/Xserver/hw/
>
> Sample of other directories in hw/:
> xfree86/
> hp/
> ibm/
> dec/
> kdrive/
> darwin/
> macII/
> sun/
>
> We've got 'xwin/' in hw/; now, tell me how the name 'xwin' implies that our
> server is for Cygwin?  :)

Why does it matter? It's in CVS with a history now. Changing it without
good reason will make getting long term views of the changes difficult.

This is  a _source tree_. Tell me why ibm is ok in that list - that's a
trademark I believe. What about sun - isn't that another trademark.
As a source tree it's really irrelevant - no end users will see it.
Likewise I assume that the libxwin.a is a convenience never shown to the
end user?

You my reasons for not changing it are
1) no legal issues that we know of (unless a laywer is willing to comment).
2) CVS revision history will be lost.
3) cosmetic change only, no end user involvement.

Feel free to pick on those :]