RE: Naming of Cygwin/XFree86 components

For us! what about 3rd party makefiles?!

> Robert Collins wrote:
> > Not really an issue IMO. Xwin is the standard name of the
> > binary for an
> > X-Server.
> > "Xfree86" is the name of the product.
>
> I forgot to bring up another point: the name XWin for
> Cygwin/XFree86 is
> ambiguous.  Assuming XWin is the standard name of an executable for an
> XFree86 server, then it is silly of us to call our library and source
> repository 'xwin', as the name 'xwin' does not clearly indicate which
> hardware platform said objects are for; as opposed to the
> other names in
> xc/programs/Xserver/hw/, which do clearly indicate a platform
> or project,
> such as 'darwin', 'xfree86', 'kdrive' (kernel driver), etc.

Hangon, what repository is called "xwin". This is the first I've heard
of it.

> Okay, so Chris and Robert have forced me to admit my real reasons for
> wanting a name change :)
> 1) The name 'xwin' is ambiguous (does it mean 'X WINdow
> system', 'X for
> WINdows', 'X for WIN16' (cause otherwise wouldn't it be
> xwin32? :), or 'X
> Will Impale Neanderthals'?
>
> 2) 'xwin' doesn't refer to the fact that our platform is
> Cygwin, not simply
> Win32
>
> 3) 'xwin' is too similar to the name of an existing
> commercial product (I
> believe it is good form to pick a name that is not going to
> cause confusion,
> even if we aren't legally required to do so)
>
> 4) Changing the name now will affect relatively few people
> compared to the
> number that will be affected when word spreads about
> Cygwin/XFree86 being
> stable
>
> 5) We need to design a project logo to use with our program
> icon, on our web
> page, and at the top of documents, such as the User's Guide
> and FAQ.  It
> would be nice to pick a name and logo that work well together :)

What about Cygwin/XFree86? Or is that a little... simplistic?
Cygwin/XFree86 is the project name at the moment and it covers all the
issues you are discussing.

Or perhaps I simply do not understand _what_ you are talking about that
has the name _xwin_!

Rob