German Keyboard - Again :-)

Hello,

Keyboard issues have been discussed much recently.  I tried to follow what
has been said, but I still have a problem.

I have a German keyboard. cygwin bash window recognizes my keyboard and
everything is perfect.  However, when I 'startxwin', the German keyboard is
no longer recognized, as seen below.
?	|
"	@
&	^
/	&
(	*
)	(
=	)
?	{
`	}
'	?
:	>
;	<

In /home/wakileh, I have .Xmodmap which has one line only
$HOME/xmodmap.de

xmodmap.de is what I downloaded based on a previous posting.

My .xsession has
usermodmap=$HOME/.Xmodmap
sysmodmap=/usr/lib/X11/xinit/.Xmodmap

if [ -f $sysmodmap ]; then