Re: Possibly incorrect explanation of how WaitForSomething works (and how to fix it) [RC and CGF please comment]

On Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 03:12:26PM -0400, Harold Hunt wrote:
>> I thought cygwin had fd support for keyboard and mouse? If it doesn't,
>> then my suggestion would be: write it.
>
>> Just to be difficult: why not pthreads? mutex's, condition variables,
>> thread specific data, limited scheduling (soon to be much
>> more) are all
>> present in snapshots at the moment.
>
>Hmm... I didn't think of that because my idea is to make the X/Server
>independent of Cygwin, so that it can be installed easily and without
>worrying about duplicate copies of cygwin1.dll, etc.  However, I want to
>keep the XLibs dependent upon Cygwin so that local clients will require
>minimal porting, if any.
>
>Thus, my development efforts have centered around using only Win32 API
>calls.  I haven't written a function yet that make a Cygwin API call.

Ouch.  I wasn't aware of this.  Does this project actually belong in
the win32-x11 domain, then?  Are you using CreateFile instead of fopen,
ReadFile instead of read(), etc?  If so, that means that all of the
cygwin mount table and other directory handling will be bypassed.

It really can't be called a cygwin project if this is the case.

>In any case, everything you suggested was stuff I hadn't thought of, and
>some of your suggestions were things that I hadn't even known existed
>(/dev/keyboard, etc.); knowing about these things will probably come in
>handy in the future should I do some *nix system-level programming or if I
>give up on my idea of making the X/Server independent of Cygwin :)

I missed the /dev/keyboard suggestion.  That isn't a cygwin device, fwiw.

cgf