From: Robert Collins [mailto:robert.collins@itdomain.com.au]
Sent: 02 April 2001 14:19
To: Smith, Martin; Cygx (E-mail)
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Shadow Framebuffer Test 12

----- Original Message -----
From: "Smith, Martin" <martin@exchange.Scotland.NCR.COM>
To: "Cygx (E-mail)" <cygwin-xfree@sources.redhat.com>
Sent: Monday, April 02, 2001 10:34 PM

> Actually a few Windows programs seem to install a copy of cygwin1.dll
:-

> * PGP Freeware.
> * Falch.net's IDE for PalmOS development.
>
> None of these are in my path though so should cause no problems (and
they
> didn't with recent builds).
>
> A check of my cygwin version shows it at 1.1.4 though so it looks like
> don't have the latest net release as I thought I did. I'm just off to
> download that and I expect that'll cure my problems !
>
> Martin

Martin, your apparent assumption that multiple versions of cygwin1.dll
can co-exist in memory at once is incorrect.

Cygwin uses a shared memory area, with a name that is common across all
versions of the dll with the same major and minor version numbers (In
fact, probably across all versions with the same major version number).
The contents of this shared memory area change with each dll release
however, so if you run PGP freeware, even though it is not in the path,
it will cause problems with other installs of cygwin1.dll unless they
are exactly the same build.

Thus the FAQ, user guide and email list requests to remove all other
copies.

It's equivalent to having multiple shared glibc's on a linux box. Sure
it _might_ work... but for how long?

Rob