Re: Web site Location (Was ANNOUNCE Development home page)

On Mon, Feb 26, 2001 at 08:04:23AM +1100, Robert Collins wrote:
>Well,
>    I've been through this before. It is straight forward, the rules
>that are needed are:
>
>* No relative references outside of the  subdomain (ie, mailing list,
>the mirrors page etc) all need to be http://www.cygwin.com/foo).

I'd prefer just 'http://cygwin.com/', actually.  Less typing.  It's
what I've tried to use consistently in the cygwin web pages.

IMO, the 'www.' part of URLs is a redundant artificact.

>* Exception to the above - server files that are mapped into the
>foo.cygwin.com namespace can be used (ie if you make a unix link at
>xfree/htdocs/mirrors.html that takes us to the real mirrors.com behind
>the scenes.

I tried this.  There were too many supporting files required to make
this feasible.

>* Document all such exceptions clearly.
> - If you want sub-dir access (www.cygwin.com/xfree) & sub domain access
>in parallel:
>* No references to / are allowed in the site. Absolute or .. style uri
>paths ONLY.
>- If you want only sub domain access:
>* All mirror sites need to be explicitly informed of the sub domain.
>Document this as well so people don't have an expectation that their
>files will be mirrored.
>* Try to remove sub-path aliases references once the sub domain is
>running (remove references to http://www.cygwin.com/xfree - including in
>your mailing list archives :] ).

Well, with luck xfree86.cygwin.com will continue to work.  sources.redhat.com/cygwin/
still works ok, so I think this is an achievable goal.

Thanks for the guidelines.  I'll keep then for future reference.

cgf