From: SLS
To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
Sent: 2/21/2001 12:50 PM
Subject: RE: xfree86 runs but programs can't connect to it

I experienced this exact same situation and reading some of these posts,
knowing
I had just installed a VPN it looked like the culprit to me.  After a
fresh Win NT 4,
sp 6 install and then cygwin / xfree install everything came up fine
(meaning I could
start Xwin without recieving the error).  Then loading the VPN software
reimposed
the 'Can't connect to host' error.

This VPN is by Aventail corp., "Connect 3.1 for Windows".

The vpn was configured to secure all traffic to a network and pass
everything else
untouched, obviously it is not quite leaving other traffic untouched.
However there
is an option to only secure traffic originating from specific
applications and ignore
others - selecting Netscape and telnet as the only 'secured'
applications solved
the problem and X starts up as it did prior to installing the VPN.  Now
I can access
secured servers from my Sun workstation through a Win NT laptop over the
VPN.

HTH

The Windows NT/2000 dual boot (actually quadruple boot, with Win ME, and
RH
7.0 Linux)
I do Cygwin/XFree86 development work and testing, at home, has
CheckPoint
VPN Client installed
and I never had this problem.  Therefore I suspect VPN client is not an
issue.  I believe
problem is somewhere else on your windows.  How about setting up in
Control
panel under System-->ENVIRONMENT
DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0?  Rebboting then.

Suhaib

| From Scott L. Sullivan                                              |
| ssul@doma.com                                                       |
| "This is temporary.  Unless it works..."                            |
|                                                    Red Green        |