compile problems Xutf8TextListToTextProperty not defined

Hello,

I've recently gotten bold enough to try to compile from cvs source.
However, I'm having a few problems. I'll only address one of them
which is Xutf8TextListToTextProperty is only defined as extern which
causes undefined references during link time:

gcc -o bitmap.exe -O2 -pedantic -fno-strength-reduce -fpcc-struct-return
-fvtable-thunks -m486 -Wall
-L../../exports/lib BitEdit.o CutPaste.o Graphics.o ReqMach.o Bitmap.o
Dialog .o Handlers.o -lXaw -lXmu -lXt -lSM -lICE -lXext -lX11 -lXpm
-L/usr/X11R6/lib  -lm
../../exports/lib/libXaw.a(Text.o)(.text+0x2db2):Text.c:
undefined reference to `Xutf8TextPropertyToTextList'
../../exports/lib/libXaw.a(TextAction.o)(.text+0x1a0a):TextAction.c:
undefined reference to `Xutf8TextPropertyToTextList'

I've done some searching and this seems to be something new for Xutil.h
since the binaries were built.

/Xutil.h:extern int Xutf8TextListToTextProperty

If this is just a code problem with the cvs source, then I'll go away
quietly but if someone knows how I can fix this, then please let me
know. I see that James Potts was able to compile the 402 source, so
it must be something wrong with my build process.

TIA,

--Kevin