Color depth question.

Hi all,

I've been able to get XFree working on NT4 SP6a, but only in 8-bit color
depth.  16-bit and 24-bit "run," but the colors are wrong.  When you
export netscape from Linux to the XFree on NT display, the resulting
colors are strange, I'm not sure how to explain it.  It looks
exactly the same as trying to display a 16-bit or 32-bit color app
on an 8-bit only display.  There's a weird "rainbow" effect to icons
displayed, for example.

I've tried changing color depth to 8-bit, 16-bit, and 24-bit on the
Windows desktop, and also changing resolution to 800x600 and 1024x768.
This doesn't change the color behavior I'm seeing for XFree.  [BTW,
I can confirm that XFree showing the Windows arrow cursor and crashing
on the first mouse click is caused by trying to run XFree in the
same resolution and color depth as Windows is running.]

I'm wondering if this color depth problem means something is wrong with
the drivers for my video card (ancient Matrox Mystique, last drivers
posted in 1998).  Thanks for any feedback :^)