Re: Xwin and .bashrc, French Keyboard, dot Directories

Bernard,

Regarding xmodmap, you could call it ONCE as
xmodmap frenchmap
where frenchmap is a file containing
keycode   8 =
keycode   9 = Escape
keycode  10 = ampersand 1
keycode  11 = asciitilde 2
etc...

Regarding directories starting with ".", I use bash where there is
no problem. By curiosity I tried the DOS shell on my Win95:

C:\>mkdir .try

C:\>dir .try

 Volume in drive C is WIN95
 Volume Serial Number is 3321-1DF7
 Directory of C:\.try

.              <DIR>        12-22-00 12:23a .
..             <DIR>        12-22-00 12:23a ..
         0 file(s)              0 bytes
         2 dir(s)     457,920,512 bytes free

The only funny thing is that "dir" yields
TRY~1          <DIR>        12-22-00 12:23a .try

Perhaps I don't understand what's the issue.

Pierre

At 11:19 AM 12/21/00 +0100, you wrote:
>Dear Pierre, Dear Cygwinnies.
>
>Thank you for your indications. You are totally correct. I was not aware
of this subtil
>trick , as it is most of the time taken in the architecture of the
starting programs in
>Unix, Linux systems.
>If by any chance you know how to have a program started at a new session I
would
>appreciate. For instance lets assume that I want to adapt my keyboard. At
the present
>time I added this line to my startxwin.bat
>start mxterm -e /bin/bash xmodm.
>xmodm is a shell file
>the beginning being
>
>#!/bin/sh
>xmodmap -e "keycode   8 = "
>xmodmap -e "keycode   9 = Escape "
>xmodmap -e "keycode  10 = ampersand 1 "
>xmodmap -e "keycode  11 = asciitilde 2 "
>xmodmap -e "keycode  12 = quotedbl 3 "
>xmodmap -e "keycode  13 = apostrophe 4 "
>xmodmap -e "keycode  14 = parenleft 5 "
>xmodmap -e "keycode  15 = minus 6 "

>This is not very elegant but works except that due to speed I got
sometimes the
>indication that xmodmap cannot find the 127.0.0:0 and it takes some time
to have the
>whole file executed.  I got then a kind of french keyboard with most of
the important
>keys
>
>I did not succeed to have dot Directories in the Home directory. MS
Windows does not
>accept this writing .
>This writing is required by many UNIX, Linux programs. How is it possible
to circumvent
>this ?
>
>Best regards
>Yours
>Bernard
>

>Pierre A. Humblet a écrit:
>
>> What you describe seems to conform to the bash documentation.
>> A login shell does not read .bashrc. You would need to
>> explicitly source it from .bash_profile
>>
>> Pierre
>>
>> ************************
>> When bash is invoked as an interactive login shell, or  as
>> a  non-interactive shell with the --login option, it first
>> reads and executes commands from the file /etc/profile, if
>> that  file  exists.  After reading that file, it looks for
>> ~/.bash_profile, ~/.bash_login, and  ~/.profile,  in  that
>> order,  and reads and executes commands from the first one
>> that exists and is readable.  The --noprofile  option  may
>> be  used  when the shell is started to inhibit this behav-
>> ior.
>>
>> When a login shell exits, bash reads and executes commands
>> from the file ~/.bash_logout, if it exists.
>>
>> When  an  interactive  shell  that is not a login shell is
>> started, bash reads and executes commands from  ~/.bashrc,
>> if  that  file exists.  This may be inhibited by using the
>> --norc option.  The --rcfile file option will  force  bash
>> to   read  and  execute  commands  from  file  instead  of
>> ~/.bashrc.

>> > I thank you for your message and that pushed me to do some extra assays.
>> > What is funny in this case is that finally I put all my aliases and
exported
>> > variables in .bash_profile and not in .bashrc as I was trying to do .
To my