RE: Xwin and .bashrc and xmodmap

Are you using my Test 7 release?  I would like to know if you get
significantly different behaviour with my Test 7 release than with the
standard release; Test 7 uses normal Windows Input functions with virtual
key codes, while the standard release uses DirectInput with more
hardware-dependent key mappings.

Below is the ammended text of the Test 7 release announcement.

Good luck,

Changes:
1)  Removed DDLOCK_NOSYSLOCK flag in call to IDirectDrawSurface_Lock; John
Fortin said that flag doesn't exist in DirectX 3... I can't find the
documentation to back that up, but I'll go with it.  Testers with failures
in IDirectDrawSurface_Lock() seem to all be running Windows NT 4.0 SP3+; so,
John is probably right that the said flag is not supported in DirectX 3.
Any Windows 98 testers out there please check in if the latest release works
for you.

Known Issues:
1)  Don't move the window :)

2)  Be careful when moving focus to and away from the window; the best bet
is to minimize the window, rather than just clicking on another app

3)  Not feature complete - the only goal of the current testing is to get an
image from the X server to appear on every tester's machine

Updates in this test release were constrained to xf_dx.dll, so, if you
already have the Test 3, or greater, full package
(OverlayAndNoDITest.tar.bz2) installed, you can just download the xf_dx.dll
package; otherwise, download the full Test 7 package.

Full Test 7 Package:
http://www.msu.edu/~huntharo/OverlayAndNoDITest.tar.bz2 (1.7 MB)
Test 7 xf_dx.dll Package:
http://www.msu.edu/~huntharo/xf_dx.dll.tar.bz2 (43 kB)

Before you extract, be sure to backup your original XWin.exe and xf_dx.dll
files.

Extract the test archive like so:
cp OverlayAndNoDITest.tar.bz2 /usr/X11R6/bin
cd /usr/X11R6/bin
mv XWin.exe XWin.orig.exe
mv xf_dx.dll xf_dx.orig.dll
bunzip2 OverlayAndNoDITest.tar.bz2
tar -xf OverlayAndNoDITest.tar

Sources:
You can download the xf_dx.dll test 7 source if you have Visual C++ 6 and
you feel like poking around:
http://www.msu.edu/~huntharo/xf_dx-src.zip (14 kB)

Screenshots, 1024x768:
1)  A local xterm:
http://www.msu.edu/~huntharo/CygwinXFree86-ScreenShot-xterm.png (160 kB)

2)  Remote gftp running on a GNU/Linux host with Gnome installed:
http://www.msu.edu/~huntharo/CygwinXFree86-ScreenShot-gftp.png (153 kB)

Good luck, enjoy, and thanks for testing,