From: John Fortin [mailto:fortinj@attglobal.net]
Sent: Wednesday, November 08, 2000 10:20 PM
Cc: cygwin-xfree@sources.redhat.com
Subject: miSprite Solution (?) Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Overlay and No
DirectInput Test 4

Suhaib and Harold,

I tracked down the 'bug' for the misprite problems.

in
miSpriteInitialize there is the following:

   #ifdef RENDER
       PictureScreenPtr    ps = GetPictureScreen(pScreen);
   #endif

where GetPictureScreen is defined as:

   #define GetPictureScreen(s)
((PictureScreenPtr)((s)->devPrivates[PictureScreenPrivateIndex].ptr))

^
I believe the problem is
here-----------------------------------------------^

PictureScreenPrivateIndex is never defined.

The place it is initialized is in render/picture.c:PictureInit().
      PictureScreenPrivateIndex = AllocateScreenPrivateIndex();

This is called by mipict.c:miPictureInit()
miPictureInit() is never used anywhere.

So when 'ps = GetPictureScreen(pScreen);' is called, ps points to
garbage.

However, if we undef RENDER, all the problems go away.

So, do we undef RENDER?  What is its purpose... Or notify someone that
the render function are broken.

John