Re: MicroImages MI/X NT install

On Mon, Oct 23, 2000 at 08:25:57PM -0600, Sylvan Katz wrote:
>> Bzzzzttt.  This is off-topic for this mailing list.
>
>I think it might be right on topic.  Let me quote directly from "The
>Cygwin/XFree86 FAQ" of September 11, 2000:
>
>**** Begin Quote ******
>2.1 Which X-server should I use? I tried MI/X and my X application crashed.
>
>With the merger of the experimental Cygwin based servers into the
>XFree86 4 soure tree, you should use the XFree86 X-Server.  Of course
>you can use a commercial X-Server such as eXceed if you wish.  If you
>last tried cygwin XFree86 before July 2000, then the following may be
>of interest: MI/X is an stdin/stdout type X-server, which uses X11R5
>libraries.  Most of the modern X applications need X11R6 libraries;
>therefore there is a capability issue.MI/X also cannot do
>multi-windowing.  Almost 99% of X applications require an X-server with
>at least multi-windowing capability.  Therefore, executing a
>multi-windowing X application on MI/X will definitely crash.
>********* End Quote *************

So mention of a product in a FAQ means that you may get technical
support for said product in the mailing list?  I don't think so.

In any event, the decision is not yours to make.  It's mine (and
Suhaib's).  This is off-topic.

Hopefully we have now given adequate exposure to your problem and anyone
who is able to help you will send you private email.

>>Surely Microimages has some kind of mailing list or something devoted
>>to their product.  You should really check with them.
>
>No they don't and from a telecom with their President, Dr Lee Miller,
>they do not appear to want to support MI/X for this type of problem.

That's a shame.  Then, I suggest that you pursue other avenues of
exploration like dejanews, web searches or egroups.com searches.

cgf