RE: batting .500 on xfree86-4.0 install

Suhaib and the list,

My deep apologies about the "new dll".  It never happened.  Besides, there
was only dll and it entirely fix the problem anyway.

I'm not a developer, but I've done enough coding to have some appreciation
of the difficulties facing you and your team.  I'm new to Cygwin and I'm
not compiling anything (yet).  As an end-user I've felt my best
contribution was to test as best I can and report the results.  I'm happy
to do that.

Someone (I'd name him again, but I'm not sure he wants the 'credit' now!)
was kind enough to do a special compile addressing my (perhaps peculiar)
failure.  It seemed only polite to actually test the thing, and report
those results.

I can certainly appreciate the confusion resulting from many "custom"
versions floating around.  OTOH, surely everyone benefits from widespread
and diverse testing.  In any case, I respect your experience with such
things and I'll follow your advice as best I can.

BTW, I just tried your suggestion about using the xwin.exe from
XWin-Win9x-Me.tar.bz2.      No go.  As far as i can tell this xwin.exe
behaves exactly the same (for me) as the one from xfree86-4.0-DLLs.tar.bz2.
And I mean exactly:  both versions work fine on one NT box I have, and both
fail with the same error messages on my other NT box.

I'm going to look around for newer/alternate video drivers for my STB
ViRGE/VX adapter.  The NT SP6 didn't update that driver, so I'm still using
the one that came with my machine.

Thx again for your help.

ZU,
    Cronin