Re: Xfree86-4_0 installation problem

Hello,

thanks a lot for the answer.  There definitely seems to be
something going on with the -screen option and I've tried to
play with it.  What is the correct invocation?  If I leave it out
completely:

start Xwin -whitepixel 255 -blackpixel 0

I get the same "Direct Draw Init Failed" as before.  If I leave out
"-screen 8" but leave in 1024x768x16

start Xwin 1024x768x16 -whitepixel 255 -blackpixel 0

I get what looks like a syntax error from Xwin.  Black windows
for xterm.exe and vtwm.exe go up but disappear after 10 seconds
or so, probably because they don't find an X server to connect to.

If I try (I don't know why this should work, and it doesn't...)

start Xwin -screen 0 1024x768x16 -whitepixel 255 -blackpixel 0

I get a grey X screen with the black small "X" cursor in the middle,
and after a second or two an outline of a window (probably an
xterm) shows up in the lower right quarter of the screen.  But as
soon as I press the mouse key the whole grey X screen goes
away.   In this last case the error message from the Xwin.exe
window is:

_XSERVTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.X11_unix
should be set to root
pwin->width = 00000400
pwin->height = 00000300
pwin->paddedWidth = 00000800
pwin->bitsperPixel = 00000010
calling WinAllocateFramebufferMemory
calling cfb16ScreenInit( 0a589e0, 147b0000, 00000400,
00000300, 00000064, 00000064, 00000400 )
Successful addition of Screen 0xa058bc8 0xa0589e0
error opening security policy file /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xserver/
SecurityPolicy

I don't know if the thing about SecurityPolicy is a problem
but I've noticed the file doesn't exist on my system.  I've also
discovered that many of the links in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11 point
to non-existent files.  They point to /etc/X11 files but this
directory does not exist on my system.  I built my system
with the most recent files of

xfree86-4_0-DLLs_tar.bz2
xfree86-4_0-Xnest_tar.bz2
xfree86-4_0-Xprt_tar.bz2