Re: For those of us coming late to the party...

Suhaib can you confirm my answers?
I'll FAQ 'em tonight

----- Original Message -----
From: "Daniel R Risacher" <magnus@alum.mit.edu>
To: <cygwin-xfree@sourceware.cygnus.com>
Sent: Wednesday, September 13, 2000 11:11 PM
Subject: For those of us coming late to the party...

> Here's my FAQ.
>
> There are apparently several versions of the server, that work in
> different ways.  After looking at the FAW and the mail archive, I've
> yet to see a concise description of what my options are as an
> end-user.  This is confusing to the uninitiated.
>
> It seems there are several versions:
>
>    a DirectX version
this is the XFree86 integrated version
>    a GGI version
>    a version integrated into XFree86-4.0.1
this uses DirectX
>    a version that based on VNC
This is a VNC Server - standard in XFree86 now. It allows a VNC client to
connect to the server for remote display. It's also useful if you want to
keep your X session active whilst you move between PC's. The VNC developers
run a really neat lab with proximity badges activating terminals.. but this
is off-topic :-]
>    a version I don't know about
hmm neither do I
>    (some of these are probably the same)
>
> How many versions are there?
Suhaib - this ones yours
> Which ones run in a M$ window, and which are fullscreen-only?
The MI/X or GGI servers can run MS windowed. You could use the VNC Server
and a windows VNC client to achieve the same.
> What bit-depths are supported for each version?
DirectX/XFree86 - 8bit no, 16-yes, 32-bit YMMV.
> How do I start that version?
Which version?
> What package should I download?  What supporting packages are needed?
How-to with details on this is coming soon.
> What compiler was used?
GCC 2.95.2 / Cygwin

> It would be cool if there were a chart with this kind of information
> in the FAQ.

Lets get the answers straight and I'll put it in the FAQ.

Rob