Re: new faq and index

Thanks for the suggestion Bob, but I disagree:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob McGowan" <rmcgowan@veritas.com>
To: "Suhaib M. Siddiqi" <ssiddiqi@inspirepharm.com>
Cc: "Robert Collins" <robert.collins@itdomain.com.au>;
<cygwin-xfree@sources.redhat.com>
Sent: Tuesday, September 12, 2000 12:14 PM
Subject: Re: new faq and index

> May I suggest further changing the last line so the references to
> "x86-based systems" differentiates the two:
>
>     ....Window System to x86-based Linux systems. Cygwin-XFree is a port
> of XFree86
>                                    ^^^^^

Xfree86 is not Linux specific - in fact it wasn't developed with linux in
mind. (It was very handy for Linux to incorporate when Linux was developed
however.) Xfree86 is actually the 80x86 platform port of the X windows
system... It just happens to be nearly exclusively Unix like platforms that
had it (until now!)

>   version 4 for x86-based Windows NT systems using Redhat's Cygwin
> Development Tools.
>                           ^^^^^^^^^^

It works on windows ME, and should anyone get time to code around M$'s
deficient GDI32.dll & kernel32.dll windows 95 and 98 should work as well.

I ahve changed the wording a bit to get the spirit of your changes across.

> "Suhaib M. Siddiqi" wrote:
> >
> > On FAQ
> >
> > 1
> >  What is X11, X11R6.x, and Cygwin-XFree?
> >
> >  X11, more precisely called "The X Window System" is a complete window
> > system that usually runs as the de-facto standard in Unix environments.
> > X11R6.3 is the name of the current release (precisely, the most recent
one
> > is X11R6.4, but this is not part of the 3.X server line. XFree86 is a
port
> > of the X Window System to x86-based systems. Cygwin-XFree is a port of
> > XFree86 version 4 for x86-based systems using Redhat's Cygwin
Development