RE: X Servers on Win 9x

> hI,
>    My mount look like
>
> Device         Directory      Type         Flags
>     d:\cygwin\usr  /usr           user         binmode
> d:\cygwin      /              user         binmode
>

> When I extracted the file xfree86-4.0-xwin.tar.bz2 and
> X-servers-v-1.0.tar.bz2, X11 directories where created
> in usr/bin and usr/lib and also created usr/X11R6.
> Since you suggested that all X related file have to be
> in /usr/X11R6, I copied all files from /usr/bin/X11
> and /usr/lib/X11 to /usr/X11R6. Still I am running
> into trouble. when at MS Dos prompt, I say startxwin
> it gives me
>
> The XWin.exe file is linked to missing export
> LIBZ.dll:inflateInit_.

You are bound to have more problems, because
what you are doing is going to give you all kind of
problems.

xfree86-40-xwin.tar.bz2 <------------ it is a Cygwin compiled Xserver
based upon XFree86.  Must be installed in d:\cygwin\usr\X11R6 with
at least xfree86-4.0-DLLs.tar.bz2 and fonts.

X-servers-v-1.0.tar.bz2 <--------- MSVC 6.0 compiled X-server, has
absoultely nothing
to do with Cygwin1.dll and does not need a Cygwin installation.  It must be
installed in d:\usr directory

> If I say startdx I get RGB_DB error and font fixed
> error. In the reply to my mail you said that X server
> is not able to see /usr/X11R6/lib/X11, but the RGB_DB
> error message box says /usr/lib/X11. In my case I do
> have both. Also while extracting the tar.bz2 files
> "cygwin1.dll" is copied into /usr/X11R6/bin. I already
> have cygwin1.dll in my usr/bin(and this one is latest
> by date). So which one has to be renamed (as suggested
> in one of your suggestions to mailing list)

Cannot mix and match Cygwin stuff with MSVC.  They use different
paths for searching fonts... xwin needs gzip compressed fonts,
x-servers-v-1.0 needs uncompressed fonts processed for MSVC.
rgb.txt in X-server-v.10 has CRLF while in xwin it does.

Did I write on Cygwin/XFree URL mix them and a cocktail X-server
would work better meraclously?

Suhaib