RE: SGI OpenGL SI libs updated

At 17:43 2000-06-15 -0700, Suhaib Siddiqi wrote:
>LibGLUT has nothing to do with GLX extension.
>
>You can checkout latest SGI OpenGL SI source cdoe from
>their CVS http://oss.sgi.com/project/ogl-sample.
>
>It is libGLcore.a and libglx.a(so) when linked to
>X-server provide GLX extension and if your application
>is linked to libGL.a, and libGLU.a, plus it included
>/usr/X11R6/include/GL/glxext.h or glext.h which
>contain calls to GLX extension, then your application
>would need an X-server with GLX extension.
>
>I do not understand why linking to libGLUT.a would
>make your app call GLX extension. If your project is
>an opensource or you want me to have a look at your
>code, I would do my best to help you.
>
>Suhaib

Thanks for your help offer. Lets start with something real simple; here is
a small C++ file, testglut.cpp:

#include <string.h>
#include <GL/glut.h>
    int   main_window;
    void main(int argc, char* argv[])
    {
    /****************************************/
    /*   Initialize GLUT and create window  */
    /****************************************/

       glutInitDisplayMode( GLUT_RGB | GLUT_DOUBLE | GLUT_DEPTH );
       glutInitWindowPosition( 50, 50 );
       glutInitWindowSize( 300, 300 );

       main_window = glutCreateWindow( "Test for GLUT library calls" );

       glutMainLoop();
    }

I compiled and linked it with:

g++ -o testglut testglut.cpp -g -I/usr/X11R6/include -L/usr/X11R6/lib
-L/usr/X11R6/static-lib -lglut -lGLU -lGL -lXmu -lX11

Running it with either the standard Exceed or the XFree X server, the app
stops, displaying:

GLUT: Fatal Error in (unamed): OpenGL GLX extension not supported by
display: 127.0.0.1:0

I don't know what version of GLUT is part of the sgi-opengl.tar.bz2 you
provided, but I downloaded the latest version of the GLUT source code from
http://reality.sgi.com/mjk_asd/glut3/glut3.html . For non WIN32
implementations, glutCreateWindow calls __glutCreateWindow, which calls
__glutOpenXConnection which check if the X server supports the GLX
extension and stops if it doesn't.

André Bleau, ing., analyste
bleau@courriel.polymtl.ca

Département de génie électrique et         Electric Engineering and
de génie informatique                      Computer Engineering department
École Polytechnique de Montréal            Montreal Polytechnic School