RE: compiling xfddx

> I finally managed to compile xfddx_3.  I changed typedef PULONG ULONG_PTR;
> to typedef /*P*/ULONG ULONG_PTR;.  Furthermore, I had to manually
> create the
> directory .\lib\i386\free.  xfddx.dll is now built cleanly.

You should not need to create lib\i386\free in NTDDK directory.  If your
PSDK, NTDDK
and MSVC installation is good, first time when you run a "build command"
after setting
ENV by using setenv.bat from NTDDK, the build will create it.

> A couple of notes on the DDK:
> (i) install the SDK, DDK, and VC in paths which do not contain spaces to
> avoid build's database being corrupted

That is actually also in one of Microsoft Knowledge Base database available
MSDN subscribers.  NTDDK does not like spaces in names.  You best bet
would be to install Visual Studio in c:\mssdk.  Try avoiding those defaults
c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio.  Some compilers which works with
Visual Studio also runs into troubles if you install MSVC in the default
directory, which contains names.

> (ii) read http://www.numega.com/drivercentral/tech_tips/lastline.shtml
> (iii) on NT4, setenv.bat in the SDK directory should put Bin\WinNT\NT4 in
> path ahead of NT5 tools that don't run on NT4.  I had to add two spaces at
> the end of IF "%%i"=="Windows NT Version 4.0 to make this work:

Strange.  The bat files always pick OS info from ENV.  BTW you can use
Win200 DDK on Nt 4.0 and develop drivers for Windows 2000 on Nt 4.0.. on
requirement is you must have SP4 or above installed.

> REM Patch path to put Bin\WinNT\NT4 in path ahead of NT5 tools that don't
> run on NT4
> For /F "delims=;" %%i IN ('Cmd /c Ver') DO (
>     IF "%%i"=="Windows NT Version 4.0  " (
>         Set Path=%MSSdk%\Bin\WinNT\NT4;%Path%
>         Goto Chk_SetEnv
>         )
>     )
>
> Note that neither Peter nor Suhaib were able to reproduce my problem.  On
> the other hand, I re-installed the SDK, VC6 with SP3, MSDN, and
> DDK.  Thus,
> my build environment shouldn't be damaged.

If you installed MSVC in c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio (default)
your NTDDK would complain about missing vcvars32.bat in c:\program folder
that is
a damaged installation for NTDDK.  This might be your problem.

BTW, what is MSDN beside SDK, VC6 with SP3 and DDK.  You mean MSDN Library?
MSDN Library is not needed for any compilation.  You can install it anywhere
you
like or even skip its installation if you are short on disk space.  I prefer
not
install it, because MSDN Library on DVD which comes with Universal
Subscription
is pretty handy and save a lot of headeach of playing with 3 MSDN CDs while
searching with
documents.

Suhaib