Re: XGGI Update

Hi Mumit,

On 04-Jan-00 Mumit Khan wrote:
> John Fortin <fortinj@ibm.net> writes:
>>      Have you ever tried compiling XGGI using straight mingw32??  I would
>> like to get away from the cygwin1.dll, if possible.  How about the other
>> X11 binaries ( xterm, twm, etc ?)
>
> Chances of xterm building under Mingw is pretty small, given that it needs
> pseudo ttys.

That is true. xterm, xedit and xdm cannot be compiled using MingW32.

> XGGI should build under Mingw however, and if not, I can provide a hand
> there.

Yes you can do that.  I am working on it already.  You can get the precompiled
libs from my URL at siddiqi.webjump.com.  The set contains precompiled cfb,
cfb16, cfb32 and all other needed libs to compile an Xserver.  You can get only
XGGI code from GGI-project URL compile using my precompiled libs... it is just
an imagination, I have not tried.  I had been patching X11R6.4 code for MingW32
and it is a lot more work then patching Xfree for Cygwin.
and all other needed

> Most of the clients should build easily under Mingw, except for the likes
> of xterm. Rxvt should build under Mingw, unless it's gone through major
> code changes in the last few years.

Actually some important clients needed by X-server do not build using MSVC,
unless you get my MSVC patches.

> Got any perf numbers yet? Just being greedy, sorry ;-)

perf for XGGI should not be good.  Even on Linux it has a bad perf...
XGGI is a low level Xserver which run on top of GGI libs which affects
perf

Suhaib

E-Mail: Suhaib M. Siddiqi <Ssiddiqi@inspirepharm.com>