RE: X11 dynamic linking library problem

> Hello,
> I downloaded x11r6.4_lesstif.zip, and
> tried to compile one small X client program with MSVC
> successfully. But when
> I run it, it crashed with the following statement:
>       window=XCreateSimpleWindow(disp,
> 	     RootWindow(disp,0),100,100,300,300,2,1,0);
> Where window is NULL which meant failure to generate one window.
> Of course
> my X server had been started up ready without any question. I
> suspected the
> failure reason due to the dynamic linking library X11.lib.
> I also tried the same problem with Cygwin -B20.1 compiler but
> ended up with
> error of failure to find the procedure entry point of X11.

The X11.dll uses MSVCRT from Developers Studio 6.0.  All the
clients compiled and passed the test.  You would find several of
them in the bin directory.

Be aware that MSVC might not allow you to create some Widgets, while
Cygwin may let you do that because Cygwin emulates UNIX layer.

What do you mean by "procedure entry point of X11"?  There are two versions
of X11 development suite for Cygwin.  One is for Cygwin B20.1 and other for
snapshots.  The snapshot suite is marked x11r6.4-cygwin-ss-deb.tar.gz,
which means Development SnapShot.  If you use ss-dev version you will
get an error _ctype_ entry point not found in cygwin1.dll.

All the clients for Cygwin and also for MSVCRT compiled and worked
with Exceed, PC-Xware and Netmage X-servers.  Therefore I do not
think anything is wrong with the X11R6.4 development suite for
Cygwin or MSVCRT.  I have myself used them for several X11 applications
and did not have problem.

> However if I used your static link X11 library which was downloaded from
> http://freehosting1.at.webjump.com/38173c2dd/si/siddiqi-webjump/x1
> 1r6.4-cygwin-b20.1.tar.gz with  Cygwin -B20.1 compiler, it worked.

There is no statically linked X11 library which I distribute.  The X11 for
Cygwin B20.1
also contains a libX11.dll and a libx11.a which is just a place holder.