Re: Cygwin32 and GPL concerns

"Suhaib M. Siddiqi" wrote:
> > Perhaps fortunately, RMS is not a lawyer or judge, and so his definition
> > of ``derivative work'' is not particularily interesting from a legal
> > perspective.  If you want to know if you can distribute a
> > GPL-library-linked binary without source, you should consult a lawyer in
> > your jurisdiction of choice.
> >
> > Mike
>
> Ummm.. Mozilla does the same what I am syaing compilation using GPL'ed
> tools.  The Mozilla URL recommeds to compile on Win32 download the
> code, and download Cygwin from Cygnus... compile it yourself.

Um, no.  We use some of the cygwin tools (cp, rm and date), but no
libraries and not the compiler.  We don't have any GPL-taint issues
here.  Trust me on this one.

And regardless, my point was that RMS's interpretation isn't really
relevant to the discussion at hand.  I'm done now.

Mike

--
264679.76 256387.92